HISTORIC PRESERVATION:

Cherokee County Historical Society



   Canton Wholesale Company

Back to Property List

Canton Wholesale Company The Canton Wholesale Company Building is located in an industrial section of Canton, GA. The building was constructed in 1920 to function as a warehouse. Jones added to his Mercantile Company with the construction of the Main Street Garage, Inc. (1926), the North Canton Store (1928), the Cartersville Warehouse (1928), and the Etowah Maid Dairy (1929). The Canton Wholesale Company Building is the only remaining extant building of the Jones Mercantile Company.

 

Architecture
The two-story building is square in form, constructed of brick in a common bond pattern, and brick buttresses are located along all four sides of the structure. The architectural style of the building is representative of the Stripped Classical style (Commercial Style) with its simple masonry rectangular facade, use of windows as string courses, and use of buttresses to create bays.

The interior of the building has changed little over time. It was originally used as a warehouse for dry goods. The interior features original post-and-beam supports of pine, open space with work stations, exposed brick walls, original pine floor on the second level, and concrete slab floor on the first level. Of some architectural significance is the use of traditional heavy timber, or 'slow burning', interior framing.

The simple design of the building represents the early 20th century growth of Canton's industrial/commercial development following the completion of the Marietta & North Georgia Railroad (now the CSX Railroad line which runs just behind and west of the building) through Canton.

History
The Canton Wholesale Company functioned as a warehouse within the Jones Mercantile Company. In 1899, Jones and several partners chartered and built the Canton Cotton Mill. Since the mill did poorly its first year of production, Jones took direct control of the mill and produced denim. He expanded his Mercantile Company with the construction of the Canton Wholesale Company Building in 1920. Jones sold items produced from the cotton mill, as well as other goods. He added to his Mercantile Company with the several other stores and entities mentioned at the beginning of this narrative.

According to The History of Cherokee County (Marlin), Jones Mercantile Company was a significant factor in the early growth and development of Canton and Cherokee County. The company remained in the Jones family until 1986; the store was purchased by a large tobacco ________________? [page missing]

 
The Society · Calendar · Membership · Facilities · Our Shoppe · Preservation · History · Resources · Genealogy