In 2009, the Historical Society released its first list of endangered historic sites and asked county residents to offer comments and vote for the site they felt was most important to save. These comments were shared with the property owner to show them how much the community valued their historic site. Our goal is to integrate these and other important historic sites into the new construction and development coming in the future.
In 2016, the Historical Society added three new sites to the list to replace the “Saved” ones and will continue monitor all of the properties. to In addition to these sites, we also are working privately with other property owners directly. If you know a Cherokee County Site Worth Saving, please use this nomination form.
Canton Grammar School
The School Board began plans to demolish this building and the former Cotton Mill office years ago, but pushed the issue hard in early 2015. With a groundswell of support, the Historical Society was able to pressure the School Board into exploring other options. The City of Canton responded by offering a land swap to the School Board to save the buildings. The City is currently working with a developer to rehabilitate the property into a mixed-use plan, stipulating that the two buildings must be preserved. Read what the voters had to say about saving the Canton Grammar School!
This neoclassical home in Ball Ground had deteriorated when we released this list in 2009. Since then, the family has restored the exterior, including the porches and columns and continue to work on the interior. Read what the voters had to say about saving the Stripling/Lovelady/Homiller House!
The Georgia Trail of Tears chapter has worked hard to determine the site of the Fort. This research and oral history place the fort on Highway 20 near Hasty Trail and the former Harmony Church (the fort, stockade and outbuildings would have covered a few acres). Plans are ongoing to certify the site and place interpretive signage.
Despite attempts by the Historical Society to relocate the property and find a new owner, the current owner demolished the house and sold the heart pine.
The Elm Street Cultural Arts Village has acquired the property and it will soon be the centerpiece of their new facility. They are currently in a capital fundraising campaign. Learn more here!
All of the fish weirs in Cherokee County have been located and recorded, but protecting them remains a priority. Read what the voters had to say about saving the Fish Weirs!
The owner recently made much-needed repairs to the building and is currently looking for a buyer.
Conn’s Creek School
Constructed ca. 1909, this is one of the last remaining 1-room schoolhouses in the County. Conn’s Creek Church members have made recent improvements in preserving the structure, such as adding a porch and cement piers. Read what the voters had to say about saving Conn’s Creek School!
Added 2016 Stancil’s Stores have become a landmark in north Cherokee County. The original store was built as an office in 1885 for Dr. J.M. Roberts. It was converted to a store around 1912 and operated until 1952 when it was rolled on pine logs and moved across the street. The new store was built on the old site and served the local community until closing in recent years. The main threats to the buildings are vandalism and neglect, although the family is doing what they can to safeguard the properties until a new use is found.
St. Andrews Cemetery
Added 2016 The situation of Andrews Cemetery is similar to many other small or family owned cemeteries in Cherokee County. Originally affiliated with a church of the same name, the site has become neglected and overgrown. A group of descendants have banded together to preserve the cemetery, which dates to pre-Civil War, but they face an uphill battle to combat the wooded overgrowth.
Added 2016 The Wofford house has become a landmark in downtown Ball Ground across from the library on Old Canton Road. It was built circa 1910 and its architecture is unique to Cherokee County. The building has been vacant and neglected for about five years and the current owner wishes to have the house moved off the property.
Built by Judge Joseph Donaldson around the start of the Civil War, however, there is evidence that it was never fired.
Built ca. 1950, the second floor was originally used as a Masonic Hall. Read what the voters had to say about saving the Hickory Flat Store!
Built in the 1880s, this is the last building surviving from the Creighton/Franklin Gold Mine. Read what the voters had to say about saving the Shingle House!
The first school in Georgia built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), ca. 1934-35. Read what the voters had to say about saving Etowah Elementary!