The boundaries for the Ball Ground Historic District conform to the natural features, transportation corridors, and historic development of the town. The proposed district roughly stops at Highway 5 to the west; Commerce Street and Groover Street to the north; Valley Street and Gazaway Lane to the east; and Stripling Street, the southern terminus of Old Canton Road, and Depot Street to the south. The principal boundaries follow the time period of 1882–1957, the proposed era of significance for the historic district. For the purposes of describing the overall character, appearance, and historical development of the entire nominated district, the Ball Ground Historic District can be divided into two sections: Central Business District and Residential Areas. View the Ball Ground Historic District map.
The name “Ball Ground“ reputably derives from the Cherokee Indian ball-playing game that was played somewhere near the town site. Ball Ground was not the site of Cherokee settlement, but a convenient meeting point to play the ball game. Local lore claims that the Cherokees in fact won a nearby large tract of land from a wager on game of ball with the Creeks. A land survey completed in 1832 divided the original Cherokee County into land and militia districts. The state decided to name its #1032 militia district “Ball Ground,” lending the support to this name during Cherokee County’s formative years.
Ball Ground Historic District is significant in the area of architecture for its excellent examples of historic residential, commercial, industrial, and community landmark buildings representing the common architectural types and styles found throughout Georgia in the late 19th and early-to-mid- 20th centuries. Architectural styles represented during this period of construction range from Folk Victorian to Ranch. The Ball Ground Historic District contains numerous, intact, excellent examples of late 19th- to early-to-mid-20th- century common house types and styles found throughout Georgia and defined in the statewide historic context by: House Types in Georgia and Georgia Historic Resources Survey Manual. The majority of the houses in the proposed district lie east, west and south of the central business district along or near Old Canton Road, A.W. Roberts Drive, or Gilmer Ferry Road.
Excerpts from the Ball Ground Historic District National Register Nomination written by Jayne Bernhard