Crescent Farm

Crescent Farm consists of an historic Georgian Revival style house built in 1922 and an historic rock barn built in 1906. The house and barn are located on a hill near the Etowah River in Canton, GA.

Architecture

edgewater hall

Edgewater Hall

Edgewater Hall, also known as the A. L. Coggins House, is a two-story red brick structure with a central hall plan on both floors, as well as an attic and basement. It was designed by noted Atlanta architect Francis P. Smith (1886-1971) and has detailing in locally quarried marble. There are 5 chimneys serving 8 fireplaces with the original mantels. There is marble trip on the exterior, as well as marble keystones, window and door sills. The original hardwood floors have survived (and are now carpeted), and there is an ornate walnut staircase, decorative arched landing windows, and French doors with grass knobs. The original room arrangeement included five bedrooms, three baths, a living room, sun room, breakfast room, and kitchen. Many of these rooms now serve as offices. The house sits atop Mt. Etowah overlooking the river of the same name. There are magnolia, oak and maple trees on the grounds.

The only surviving original Crescent Farm building is the Rock Barn, built as a stable for race horses. It has been separated from the historic house by GA Hwy 5 for over 50 years now. The barn was rock on the lower level and brick on the gable portion, with an open latticed gabled end. Marble sills were at each window. The cross-hatched timber gable permitted air to circulate through the hay stored in the loft. The rocks used for building materials were dug from the Etowah River. The Rock Barn is one of the only rock barns in Georgia.

History

1906 Rock Barn

1906 Rock Barn

A. L. Coggins referred to his 350 acres as Crescent Farm. The farm derived its name from the manner in which the Etowah River partially encircles it in a crescent-like shape. It was best known on both a local and national basis for its world class harness race horses.

Coggins built his Colonial Revival residence, called Edgewater Hall, on the same site where a former Victorian frame structure once stood. He occupied the house from 1922 to 1926. Aside from the main house and traditional outbuildings, there was a cotton gin, smokehouse, blacksmith shop, race horse barn, stud horse barn, large mule barn, and a quarter mile race track.

The house and barn are situated in an area which is commercially developed and also contains a school complex. The house underwent major rehabilitation in 1986 when it was converted from a residence to offices, with all work accomplished in keeping with the Colonial Revival style. Additions were made on the north and part of the west sides, including changing the entrance to the south side. An original porte cochere was removed at the south entrance and an entry room built.

Agriculture

Crescent Farm had significant agricultural influence in Cherokee County, because the barn was built as a horse racing stable where fine race horses were bred and raised by A. L. Coggins. Some went on to win state, regional and national awards for racing. Other ventures of the Coggins family included a livery stable in Canton and a large mule brokerage business in Atlanta. All of his later agriculturally significant activities took place while he lived in Edgewater Hall. Crescent Farm, during its operation under Coggins, consisted of 350 acres of farmland. It developed as a working plantation with department heads. Among the farm hands, Coggins employed approximately 75 black workers, some living on housing provided on the property. While horses and mules were the main commodity, the farm also raised turkeys, cows, buineas, hogs and dogs. Corn, cotton, hay and molasses were produced there. Crescent Farm was considered a favorite meeting place to view harness racing on the track located south of the barns.

The Rock Barn is currently the Historical Society’s meeting space and rental facility. If you are interested in renting the Rock Barn for your special event, please visit the Rock Barn Rental page.

Back to National Register of Historic Places